While you’re in town for the best in food/design/shopping, try not to forget that Washington, DC is one of the most powerful and historic cities in the USA. Don’t miss out on these favourites in and around DC.
1. Washington Monument It’s worth the wait in line for an elevator ride to the top of the monument.
2. Lincoln Memorial Try to spot the engraving on the ground that depicts where Martin Luther King Jr. stood during his ‘I Have a Dream’ speech.
3. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Go at night when the stark white statue stands out against the inky night sky.
4. The White House Tours of the White House are not currently being facilitated for foreign nationals, but make sure to check in with the Australian embassy in Washington for any updates before your trip.
5. Union Market 40 creative food vendors come together under one roof in the NoMa neighbourhood.
6. H Street corridor An energetic corridor filled with hip bars, live music venues and restaurants. Maketto, a menswear shop-meets-Asian restaurant, is a standout.
7. Suburbs Arlington National Cemetery and Old Town Alexandria are must-see stops just outside of Washington.
8. Nationals Stadium If you visit during April and November, try to catch a Nationals baseball game
Discover some of the most wonderful suburbs in the USA. Check out these Washington DC gems: