Nicola Beynon, head of campaigns for World Animal Protection, provides her tips on how to avoid supporting cruel wildlife tourism.
1. Ask the travel operator if they have an animal welfare policy; World Animal Protection are working with companies, such as Intrepid Travel, to adopt policies.
2. Ask where the animal is sourced: do they buy or trade them?
3. Do your own research and don’t necessarily believe the marketing. Many places that advertise themselves as a sanctuary or conservation centre are not.
4. The rule of thumb is if you can ride it, take a selfie with it or if it’s performing tricks then that animal will have suffered.
5. If you’re concerned, make a complaint.
MORE… for the responsible traveller: Top 10 wildlife attractions to avoid and why