Exotic foods and indulgent nights out needn’t mean stacking on the kilos on your travels, with these fitness-friendly initiatives.
Gone are the days when travelling was an excuse for letting your exercise regime slip, and here are three key ways to incorporate fitness into your travel itinerary…
1. HOTEL HEALTH
Hotels are cottoning on to the fact that a tiny room with a couple of treadmills does not a gym make, with workout facilities starting to infiltrate guest rooms.
Here are some that are going above and beyond, all in the name of fitness…
- EVEN Hotels is a wellness-focused hotel chain in the US, owned by InterContinental Hotels Group with three properties in New York, Norwalk and Rockville and two more planned for New York.
EVEN Hotels not only have large and well-equipped hotel gyms on site, there’s fitness zones in every room with cork flooring and a variety of fitness equipment.
The beds are designed to help promote a better sleep with all-natural eucalyptus linens, the dining space has a menu of healthy and fresh meals, and if you have to do work, the in-room desk spaces are ergonomically designed.
- Westin’s Well-Being Movement means selected properties have Westin workout rooms that come with a treadmill or stationary bike, dumbells, fitness DVDs, resistance bands and stability balls.
The hotel chain also has RunWESTIN, a program in partnership with New Balance where guests can head out with a Run Concierge.
And if you forgot your gear, or simply didn’t have room in your luggage, you can rent workout clothing and shoes for a small fee.
- TRYP Hotels also has Fitness Rooms that are equipped with treadmill, elliptical or stationary bike, free workout gear, bottled water and extra towels.
- Fairmont Hotels and Resorts provides Reebok workout apparel and a yoga mat in each room.
- Hyatt Hotels has dedicated Fitness Concierges who can provide apparel on demand, a GPS armband for runners and walkers to monitor heartrate, course and distance, and YogaAway, an in-room yoga experience and breathing exercises on your pillow at turndown.
2. RUN THE WORLD!
If running is your thing, Australian travel agency Travelling Fit is your ticket to pounding pavements around the world.
If you want to partake in marathons across the globe, Travelling Fit guarantees race entry, assistance with pre- and post-marathon travel plans and transfers to and from the event; a staff member also hosts a meet-and-greet and training runs.
From the New York City Half Marathon to the Tenzing Hillary Everest Ultra Marathon, travellers can see amazing sites while achieving huge personal fitness goals.
3. APP-TASTIC WORKOUT
The 7-minute workout app means you can burn calories doing a quick high intensity training session without leaving your hotel room.